Saturday 10 September 2011

One Good Turn Deserves Another




Good  morning said a woman as she walked up to the man  sitting on the ground..

The  man slowly looked up.  

This  was a woman clearly accustomed to the finer  things of life.  Her coat was new.. She looked like she had never  missed a meal in her life.  


His  first thought was that she wanted to make fun of  him, like so many others had done before..  "Leave me alone," he growled....  


To  his amazement, the woman continued standing.  


She  was smiling -- her even white teeth displayed in  dazzling rows. "Are you hungry?" she asked.  


"No,"  he answered sarcastically. "I've just come from  dining with the president. Now go away."  


The  woman's smile became even broader. Suddenly the  man felt a gentle hand under his arm. 


"What  are you doing, lady?" the man asked angrily. "I  said to leave me alone.”


Just  then a policeman came up. "Is there any problem,  ma'am?" he asked..


"No  problem here, officer," the woman answered. "I'm  just trying to get this man to his feet.   Will  you help me?"


The  officer scratched his  head.  "That's old Jack. He's been a fixture around  here for a couple of years. What do you want  with him?"


"See  that cafeteria over there?" she asked. "I'm  going to get him something to eat and get him  out of the cold for  awhile." 


"Are  you crazy, lady?" the homeless man resisted. "I  don't want to go in  there!"  Then he felt strong hands grabbed his other arm  and lifted him up.  "Let me go, officer. I didn't do anything." 

"This is a good deal for you, Jack," the officer  answered. "Don't blow  it."
  



Finally,  and with some difficulty, the woman and the  police officer got Jack into the cafeteria and  sat him at a table in a remote  corner.  It was the middle of the morning, so most of the  breakfast crowd had already left and the lunch  bunch had not yet arrived...  


The  manager strode across the cafeteria and stood by  his table.  "What's going on here, officer?" he  asked.  "What is all this, is this man in trouble?"  


"This  lady brought this man in here to be fed," the  policeman answered. 


"Not  in here!" the manager replied angrily. "Having a  person like that here is bad for business.."  


Old  Jack smiled a toothless  grin.  "See, lady. I told you so. Now if you'll let me  go. I didn't want to come here in the first  place."   


The  woman turned to the cafeteria manager and  smiled.. "Sir, are you familiar with Eddy and  Associates, the  banking  firm down the street?" 


"Of  course I am," the manager answered impatiently.  "They hold their weekly meetings in one of my  banquet rooms." 


"And  do you make a goodly amount of money providing  food at these weekly meetings?"  


"What  business is that of yours?"  


I, sir, am Penelope Eddy, president and CEO of the  company."


"Oh!" 


The  woman smiled again. "I thought that might make a  difference."  She glanced at the cop who was busy stifling a  giggle. "Would you like to join us in a cup of  coffee and a meal, officer?"  


"No  thanks, ma'am," the officer replied. "I'm on  duty." 


"Then,  perhaps, a cup of coffee to  go?" 

 

"Yes,  mam. That would be very  nice."  

The  cafeteria manager turned on his heel, "I'll get  your coffee for you right away, officer." 


The  officer watched him walk away. "You certainly  put him in his place," he said.  


"That  was not my intent. Believe it or not, I have a  reason for all this."   


She  sat down at the table across from her amazed  dinner guest. She stared at him intently..  "Jack, do you remember me?"  


Old  Jack searched her face with his old, rheumy  eyes.  "I think so -- I mean you do look familiar."  


"I'm  a little older perhaps," she said. "Maybe I've  even filled out more than in my younger days  when you worked here, and I came through that  very door, cold and hungry."  


"Ma'am?"  the officer said  questioningly.  He couldn't believe that such a magnificently  turned out woman could ever have been hungry.  

 
"I  was just out of college," the woman began. "I  had come to the city looking for a job, but I  couldn't find  anything.  Finally I was down to my last few cents and had  been kicked out of my apartment. I walked the  streets for days.  It was February and I was cold and nearly  starving. I saw this place and walked in on the  off chance that I could get something to eat."  


Jack lit  up with a smile.  "Now I  remember," he said..  "I was  behind the serving counter. 
You came  up and asked me if you could work for something  to eat. I said that it was against company  policy." 

"I  know," the woman continued.. "Then you made me  the biggest roast beef sandwich that I had ever  seen, gave me a cup of coffee, and told me to go  over to a corner table and enjoy  it.  I was afraid that you would get into trouble...  Then, when I looked over and saw you put the  price of my food in the cash register, I knew  then that everything would be all right."   



"So  you started your own business?" Old Jack said.  


"I  got a job that very afternoon. I worked my way  up.  Eventually I started my own business that, I  with the help of God, prospered." She opened her  purse and pulled out a business card.. "When you  are finished here, I want you to pay a visit to  a Mr. Lyons. He's the personnel director of my  company. I'll go talk to him now and I'm certain  he'll find something for you to do around the  office."  She smiled.  "I think he might even find the funds to give  you a little advance so that you can buy some  clothes and get a place to live until you get on  your feet... If you ever need anything, my door  is always opened to you.."  


There  were tears in the old man's eyes. "How can I  ever thank you?" he said.   

"Don't  thank me," the woman answered. "To God be the glory. Thank Jesus... He led me to  you."  

Outside  the cafeteria, the officer and the woman paused  at the entrance before going their separate  ways....

"Thank  you for all your help, officer," she said.  

"On  the contrary, Ms. Eddy," he answered. "Thank  you. I saw a miracle today, something that I  will never forget. And...And thank you for the  coffee." 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment